Running is one of the best physical exercises with no cost. Running is kind of cardio exercise. 5 to 10 minutes daily (even at slow speed) running reduces the risk of dying from cardiovascular disorders.
Health Benefits of running
Strengthen your mental health. Below description reflecting how running help to make you stress-free.
- Reduces the symptoms of depression: Many studies suggested that daily aerobic exercise and primarily jogging or brisk walking lead to decrease the symptoms of 0depression. Running or jogging act as psychotherapy for depression.
- Enhances learning skills: As per information published in periodical Neurobiology of Learning and Memory in 2017, both high-intensity and low-impact aerobic running can improve the capacity of learning and help to retain the new information and vocabulary. These benefits are sound to be more effective in high-intensity running. However, the levels of the protein brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and the neurotransmitter catecholamine are boosted by both forms of the running, which are linked with the brain’s cognitive functions.
- Improves memory power: Sharpening memory capacity is one of the effective mental health benefits of running. Brazil’s researchers performed their experiment in rats by running them on a treadmill for 5 minutes in several times a week and they found that the rats’ brains experienced a surge in production of BDNF.
- Prevent the counter effect of aging in the brain: According to research in Time magazine, running is a buffer against the impacts of aging on the brain. Scientists tested which was better for the aging brain, brain games or physical exercise. They found that physical exercise in any form either running or any other aerobic activities lowers the rate of brain shrinkage.
- Reduces anxiety: Study of Anxiety and Depression Association of America suggested that running or any other forms of exercise lowers the anxiety symptoms and help you relax. In fact, running may work as well as medication to reduce anxiety.
- Provides you better sleep: Running controls the circadian rhythms, increases the daytime alertness, quicker onset of sleep and deeper sleep. It also alleviates the symptoms associated with insomnia and obstructive sleep apnea.
- It boosts your self-esteem and enhances the creativity.
Enhancing the lungs
The capacity of the lung is increased from mile after mile through running.
Helps to control high blood pressure
During running, arteries expand and contract which helps to keep arteries fit and control the blood pressure up to a normal range.
Boosten the immune system
Daily running strengthens the tolerance to fight against germs, which results in fewer minor disease.
Helps in weight control
Running proved as best exercise for weight loss through consuming more calories. However, if you are practicing for long distance, it also makes you more hungry. It does not mean, by running you get a pass to eat all the food, all the time. Studies also suggest that running is more powerful than walking on weight loss.
Legs of runner are a powerhouse. They move you from point to point and carry you up and down hills. During running, all the muscles in legs, buttocks, core, and arms are used. While working on these muscles, they undergo wear and tear. However, they grow stronger and powerful when you get proper rest and help them recover.
Running strengthens the serotonin levels in the brain which make you calmer and more relaxed.
Improves bone density
Running stresses the bones. While under stress, required minerals are sent to the bones which makes them stronger. It does not mean running make you unbreakable.
Enhances joint strength and stability
The strength of your ligaments and tendons are strengthened through running. You’ll notice that your joints will be capable to withstand more mileage and more uneven terrain. Running lowers the risk of osteoarthritis and hip replacement, and also strengthens the intervertebral disc
Your confidence starts to grow once you begin running. After running, you’ll find more control in your life and body.